Sterling Beaumon -- Starting Early


I love when I have a chance to talk to a teen who is well-spoken and Sterling Beaumon is way beyond his 14 years. When you talk to this young actor, who has recently played young Ben Linus in Lost and has made appearances in Bones, House and ER, you’re impressed with his accomplishments both on and off the screen. Sterling not only enjoys acting, but he enjoys giving back and he knows that it starts at home. His mother has been his guiding force, teaching him about the importance of recycling and saving energy. After he was done riding his bike, Sterling and I had a chance to chat for a few minutes.

How do you feel about the recycling and saving energy your mom taught you to do?

If we don’t save our world now, we won’t have one later. Mom always had us take two-minute showers and turn off all the lights. We hang our clothes out to dry instead of putting them in the dryer.

Do you learn about saving the planet in school?

I attend a school through the Internet and that conserves paper. It’s just me and online. I skateboard, bike and walk everywhere within five miles.

What about on your sets during filming?

On Lost, we recycle everything that can be recycled. We use the backs of the scripts as paper and we use metal water bottles.

Do you feel pressured to do the right thing all the time?

I don’t feel pressure. It’s not something you have to do, it’s something you choose to do. I think it’s cool to save the environment and work for other charities. Some kids don’t have things that you have – good health, clothes, a lot of stuff. It’s good to help.

How can kids start to help?

Volunteer in your neighborhood – that’s how I got started – picking up trash, cleaning up around the house. Cleaning up the gutters. It all starts at home.

What else are you involved with?

My aunt works for a non-profit organization that helps blind and dyslexic kids with reading. It gives them special reading materials, and I’m helping to promote it.

Thanks Sterling -- keep an eye on this kid.