Having a Pity Party with Rosie O'Donnell

It's New Year's Day and this blogger is supposed to be at a party. For a very close friend. Why she is here blogging her little heart out is anyone's guess. Devotion to faithful readers? Misguided feelings of self worth? Unable to look away from the Internet? Work ethic?

Perhaps a little of all of the above?

I happened upon a Rosie O'Donnell video this morning and decided it would make a good short. Unfortunately, this will be very short because I am in fact very late for my friend's party. If my friend ever reads this --- and she probably won't (hardly any of my community friends read this blog) --- I am so sorry. Truly. But with all your other gobs of friends, I'm sure you haven't even noticed I'm missing. Love you, lady!

Back to Rosie. Sweetheart, darling, get over it. You're annoying. So what? Lots of people are annoying. I, myself am annoying. My kids tell me that all the time. There's no shame in being annoying. Embrace your "annoyingness." Become one with the obnoxious. Revel in it. Because it is who you are, Rosie. And if it's not who you want to be, make concerted efforts to change. You can change, Rosie. It is within your power if that's truly what you want to do.

Besides, being annoying is not Rosie O'Donnell's real problem. People who are fans of Rosie expect her to be annoying, obnoxious, over-bearing, and outspoken. It's what they love about her. No, Rosie has another more serious problem. If she ever wants to land back on top, this is the problem she needs to overcome.

First, a disclaimer. I'm not Dr. Phil, nor do I claim to have psychic powers or real insight into what makes Rosie tick. Pshaw. I loved her in that baseball movie, you know, the one with Tom Hanks and Madonna, but I haven't been able to stomach her since. No, actually, I did catch her cruise special on HBO. Seeing all those alternative lifestyle families joining together on that big cruise ship gave me a lift of some sort. I can't really describe it, but I did enjoy it.

I'm rambling and need to get to the point quickly to go shower. Rosie O'Donnell is not my cup of tea. She doesn't have to be. Rosie doesn't need me to be her fan. She already has tons of fans, people who religiously read her blog, people who will support her projects no matter what. If the celebrity crowd and their devotees reject her, that will not be the end for Rosie.

Rosie O'Donnell needs to get over her need to be universally loved. She will never be univerally loved. And let's face it. No one is universally loved. Not even Oprah, rich and influential as she may be. Everyone has their critics and detractors. There's always someone who wants to take you down a notch. That's just the way life is.

Poor sad pathetic Rosie. I wish I could reach out to her in cyberspace and slap a big squooshy hug around those big broad shoulders. But that would be overkill, wouldn't it? And I'm very late for my party.